Saturday, December 5, 2009

TransMac

Not long ago, I met a young woman that I will call Michelle. She is funny, acerbic, sure of herself. She identified as a lesbian and has a girlfriend.

Recently, Michelle decided to go by “Mac.” Mac is questioning hir gender identity. I have known transgender people before, but none of them have been as close to me as Mac. Mac is my friend, and I adore hir. (Yes, I am going to be using gender-neutral pronouns in this blog. Mac still uses female pronouns, but I am doing this to practice.) Ze is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. A gifted musician. A brilliant conversationalist. A really funny guy.

I am glad and proud that ze chose to tell me that ze is questioning hir gender identity. Still, sometimes I fear that I am overwatchful of my language and behavior. I do not want to offend hir: I do not want to seemingly force hir into the gender dichotomy that language ensnares us with. Mac is very understanding and is still finding hir way in all this. I am just privileged to be invited along on the journey.