Friday, February 5, 2010

Having Someone Come Out to You

Today, one of my good friends and an all-around awesome person came out to me as bi. Ze had always identified as straight before. I was very honored that ze would come out to me. I hope I conveyed my humbled feeling but still communicated that I was thrilled with hir self-examination and embracing of this aspect of hirself.

I’m not really sure why, but I am STOKED! I am literally almost giddy about this. It’s not like I think ze is any more or less awesome than I already thought. In fact, I’m not even sure that I know why I feel so invigorated. I mean, I guess a small part is that I recognize this kind of journey of self-discovery and self-awareness, which occupied a large portion of my life until Matt and Michelle helped me figure things out, shall we say. I guess that I am also thankful that ze can feel like expressing this aspect of hirself at such a relatively young age.

It also reinforces the notion that coming out to someone is quite an honor for the one to whom someone comes out, assuming that it’s not done to castigate some ‘phobe. To come out is brave. To come out implies that the person telling you respects you enough to be allowed to have a fuller picture of hirself. That person cares for you enough to let you glimpse this aspect of their identity that could otherwise be elided. Someone coming out to you means that they are comfortable with themselves and with you. As such, it is a demonstration of respect, regard, and responsibility. It is honoring: it is humbling. Perhaps this is another reason why I am so energized: my friend invited me to know this part of hirself. That means ze cares, that I care, and that our friendship and fellowship will only be strengthened.

Should that friend ever read this message, I thank you, humbly. And, yes, you are all kinds of awesome.